Why Yosemite National Park’s 150th birthday is both important and inspiring
Yosemite National Park celebrates 150 years this year. It is the leader among national parks in the US.
It was the first time the Federal Government ever set aside a piece of land for preservation when Abraham Lincoln created the Yosemite Grant in 1864. Specifically, the grant protected Yosemite Valley, seen above from the classic “tunnel view” lookout, and Mariposa Grove, which harbors the huge sequoia trees found in the southern part of the park (we’ll take a closer look later this week).
go! Airlines announces shutdown
go! Airlines, a subsidiary of Mesa Air Group, will cease operations as of April 1, 2014.
The company said the decision came as a result of “significant growth” in Mesa’s codeshare operations in the mainland United States, which amount to 98 percent of Mesa’s total volume.
TripAdvisor picks: World’s best beaches
If you’re a beachgoer, you may want to check out this list of best beaches according to TripAdvisor.
Here’s how TripAdvisor ranks U.S. beaches:
1. Lanikai Beach, Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Ka’anapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
3. Siesta Key Public Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
4. Hanalei Beach, Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii
5. Wai’anapanapa State Park, Hana, Maui, Hawaii
6. Wailea Beach, Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
7. Hunting Island State Park, Beaufort, South Carolina
8. Manini’owali Beach (Kua Bay), Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
9. Saint Pete Beach, Saint Pete Beach, Florida
10. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii